Monday, September 5, 2011

Day Eight - OPENING NIGHT!!

Last night we had our first performance! AHH!
Because it was performance day, we didn't hold rehearsal during the day. That meant that for a lot of people, it was the first day they could sleep-in or run errands that they had had all week. When I went to Davis in the early afternoon, I saw many O-Show people going about their business enjoying the free time. It was nice to relax a bit before the show.
At 5pm, the cast and a few pstaff members met up at Eliza's apartment, where we made awesometastic t-shirts with spray paint and stencils. On the front they say "HEY WOAH YES OUCH WOW" and on the back they say "I DON'T WANNA PAHTY ANYMORE, O-Show 2011." They are very sparkly, so if you see chairs or areas of campus that are extra glittery, chances are one of us has been there...

Kyle's shirt: IDONWANAPATYANYMOEE
It is very symbolic.


At 5:30 Jeff and I had to run off to the theatre to do presets. Having done this a few times now, I didn't need my list to tell me where everything went. By 6pm, everything was set up and the actors arrived to start hair and makeup. 6pm was also the time of the 3Ps ice cream social in the lobby, so a few of us wandered up there and chatted with freshmen interested in theater. I met a lot of really nice people, and I am very excited for what the class of 2015 will bring to the 3ps and its umbrella groups this year. Woooo!

Eliza braids her hair looking scandalized as Alexa dresses behind her.

GUY-LINER WIN!

By 6:30 I was back in the theatre, doing last-minute prop checks and such. We opened house at around 6:45, and I set up shop at my post at Dog. When the house closed, I went onstage and set up the last of the set dressings for the first scene. A little after 7, the show began.
Overall, I think the show went as smoothly as it could have for a first performance. There were a few minor incidences with sound and set pieces, but they were hardly anything to cry over. It was really exciting to hear the audience engage in the show and laugh at all its wonderfully awkward or hysterically funny moments. From my post at Dog, I couldn't see the audience, so I had to rely on what the Jeffs in the booth told me. Every once in a while they would laugh at a certain person's reaction to a certain line. It was great.

What I could see from my post at Dog.


Colorful backstage lights!

My favorite part of the show was probably when I watched scenes 8 and 9 from the catwalk. I needed to be up there for the transition so I could lower the chandelier. Once I was done with that I just lay on my stomach and watched. Lemme just say that watching a show from up there is SO COOL. If you come see the show tonight and look up at that time, I will wave at you!
After we finished, there was a good 20 minutes of mild chaos. Why? Well, the Torn Ticket II show was scheduled to perform right after us, and we needed to clear our stuff out of the way while they set their stuff up. For a while there were two sets of stage managers and assistant stage managers running around and around backstage. I packed up my stuff and left Dog at exactly 9pm, just when the backstage lights went dark. I then joined the rest of the FFF crew (all decked out in their new shirts) in the seats reserved for us in section 3. And then we all sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the show. (Which was FANTASIC, btw.)


Tonight, we do it all over again. I hope to see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment