Friday, September 2, 2011

Day Six - Set Design!

Kyle P. takes center stage (if he can find it under all the random stuff...) and answers your questions about set design for Fables for Friends!

How did you get involved in this show? Have you worked with set design before?
I really enjoyed working on the last O-Show I designed, so I was excited about the chance to rock out another one my final year here at Tufts. Last year I designed Torn Ticket II's Fall Major,Assassins, and I've also designed the sets for a couple of different minor and workshop productions.

What is special about the O-Show in terms of set design?
There are pretty serious constraints on what you can create on stage, both because of the time frame and the limits on budgets that all the designers are forced to work with. While those factors can be daunting, simply trying to create an interesting design that isn't just the furniture that's required to be on stage is an exciting challenge.

What is your concept for the set of this show?
I think one of the most interesting themes of the show are the ways in which the nature of our friendships change and develop over the course of our lives. A big part of that development has to do with accumulation-- of experiences, of people we've known, of special objects we've acquired. I aim to reflect that development in the way the scenery changes throughout the show.

What is the most difficult thing about set designing an O-Show?
Knowing that you need to create a successful design using (pretty much) nothing but what we have in stock here at Tufts and a budget of only a hundred dollars.

What is the most fun thing about set designing an O-Show?
I love that you can just throw yourself into oshows--you don't have any classes or really any other obligations that require attention, so the moment a problem comes up, you can address it and see the results immediately. Kids get crazy up in here this week, and it's a blast to contribute to that energy.

What are you most looking forward to this week?
Watching all y'alls little jaws drop watching the show on Opening Night.

What do you think of the play?
I like it. I really prefer shows like this to those that have a more linear plot, so getting to work on this play rather than a more straight forward drama or sit-com type play was a real treat.

Is set designing for an arena stage difficult?
That really depends. For a show like this, I think it's actually a lot more forgiving. The space is so intimate, that you can really evoke a setting with just a couple pieces. When you're designing a show that requires more defined scenery, though, it can be quite a challenge. Unless you're a thug like me, of course.

Any advice for freshmen interested in set design?
Don't be too intimidated! It takes a lot of dedication to learn all the skills you need to be a good set designer (drafting, modeling, design theory, scenic painting, and so on), but if you're open to taking the time to learn, I think it can be the most rewarding design discipline. Nothing quite compares to the feeling of seeing a full show come together that started out as little sketches in your notebook.

In the immortal words of TLC: 'Scrub, I don't want no scrub, scrub is a guy who can't get no love from me. Hanging out the side of his best friend's ride, trying to holla at me.'

Wiggity wiggity WAM

No comments:

Post a Comment